Bleached by the Greek sun, sometimes by the waves and sometimes perched on top of a mountain or hidden among rocks and dense vegetation, our chapels are of unique beauty and familiarity with Greek landscapes.
Under the umbrella of our blue sky, the white and white chapels stand calmly and blend harmoniously with the unique Greek landscape. The most distant of them await a guest or the feast day of the saint to whom they dedicate themselves to dressing their wares and flooding the world. Everything has its own unique history and many of them are connected with myths and traditions of their place.
We have collected some of them and present them to you as summer approaches and one of us can be found near one of them. Enjoy them during your sailing cruise and don’t hesitate to share them with your friends too.
1 Agios Stefanos – Syros Island
Agios Stefanos in the settlement of Galissas, southwest of Syros, is a small Catholic chapel literally built in a cave just above the sea. He didn’t need a floor and a roof to build it. Only two walls were built to the right and left. According to tradition, the chapel of Agios Stefanos was built by a fisherman from Galissas, Stefanos, who was in danger from a huge octopus that dragged him into the sea. He made a vow to Saint Stephen to save him and so he built the chapel on this remote spot.
2. Panagia Tourliani – Milos Island
It is a small church on the hill above Klima. Beyond the interest that it presents inside, it offers the visitor the opportunity to admire the island, the Adamas Bay and the sunset.
3. Panagia Kalamiotissa – Anafi
The Zoodochos Pigi or Panagia Kalamiotissa Monastery is located on the narrow isthmus that separates the main volume of the island from the Kalamos peninsula. It is built on the site of the ancient temple of the same name of Apollo Aeglitis, which was connected with the city with the cobblestone Iera Odos (its parts are still preserved). The walls of both the church itself and its enclosure, which is part of the current monastery enclosure, are preserved to a considerable height.
4. Panagia Kastriani – Kea Island
She is the patron saint of the island, the Virgin beloved of the inhabitants, who seek her grace for help and protection. Built on the steep hill of Kastri above the sea, it functions as an extra-ecclesiastical pilgrimage church, where many weddings and baptisms take place. The miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary was found there after the vision of a local shepherd in 1710. The wonderful natural environment, the vastness of the sea and the evocative religious atmosphere create mental satisfaction and euphoria in the visitor.
5. Panagia Hozoviotissa – Amorgos Island
The monastery of Panagia Hozoviotissa is located on the steeply sloping southern bank of Amorgos. Nestled in barren and threatening rocks, it is only visible from the sea, which extends immensely below the rocks, 300 meters high. Its inconspicuous white face blends admirably with the colorful and uneven rocks. Only white geometric volumes and strictly linear contours of the building, which, with the collaboration of light, create the feeling of a multi-level surface.
6. Panagia Thalassini – Andros Island
It is built on the rock in the sea, at the entrance to the country. According to tradition, Panagia Thalassini protects those who travel to the sea, along with Agios Nikolaos. One cool afternoon the icon of the Virgin Mary came from the sea to the beach with a strange light. The people of the island followed the light which led them to a small cave. Surprised, in the cave, on algae, they saw the image of the Virgin Mary. They adored her and took her to the chapel of San Atanasio. The next day, however, the image turned to his cave! So the islanders decided to build a temple over the cave. The works for the construction of the temple were carried out at a fast pace and Ecclesia was almost ready in a very short time. But the roof was missing because there was no wood. The Virgin Mary took care of it. A ship laden with timber was openly threatened by the sea off Andros. The captain, along with the sailors, asked the Virgin to save them from imminent danger. Enlightened the boat made the wood in the sea. So the ship was saved. The wood slowly descended to the shore near the cave, so that the craftsmen covered the uncovered Church. Because the wood was found unexpectedly, and indeed in its time really goddess, the Church of Our Lady was named “Theoskepasti”.
7. Panagia – Folegandros Island
Panagia is the most famous church in Folegandros and is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. It is built on a rock above Chora and is dominated by its whitewashed color on the site of an ancient temple in which building materials have been used.
In the church there is a statuary icon of the Virgin dating from the Byzantine era. The image, according to local traditions, is miraculous and is connected with many stories of pirate raids and other legends.
In the old days, May 1790, shortly before the Aegean uprising by Lambros Katsonis, 18 skirts with Algerian pirates, the worst pirates of the Aegean era, were threatened. The insane and peace-loving inhabitants of the island rushed to the church of the Virgin Mary to protect them. After praying devoutly and with tears of despair and hope for the help of the Virgin Mary, they took a picture of her and carried her to the edge of the cliff, begging her to save them. Then a terrible breeze blew wildly, carried the pirates away and sank them, suffocating all the terrible pirates. Only one Christian captive swam to land, and when he reached the salvation of the faithful believers, he told them that before the ships fell, he saw a great lightning come down from the rock and strike the ships. Everyone attributed the fact to a miracle of Our Lady and since then the locals consider May Day as a great celebration.
8. Panagia Chrysopigi – Island of Sifnos
The spectacle of Panagia Chrysopigi in Sifnos as you descend the path that will bring you closer is impressive. A whitewashed church perched on a rock literally in the sea. The monastery, now inactive and with its cells available to visitors, dominates the small cape that separates the two beaches of Faros. It was built in 1615 to house the image of Zoodohos Pigi that fishermen saved from the sea.
9. Agios Sozos-Naxos
The lush whitewashed chapel of Agios Sozos, perched on a seaside cliff in the Kalantos area, is one of those magical images that never leave the memory. It was built by a merchant who was shipwrecked in the area, and since his merchandise was oil and wine, when he fought against the waves he made a vow to God that if he was saved he would build an oil and wine chapel in the area. He built it, pouring oil and wine into the foundations, and gave it the name of Saint Sozos. To enjoy it you just have to walk a beautiful path that starts from Agiassos beach or through a sailboat during your private trip in the Lesser Cyclades
10. San Antonio “Atratoudistos” – Santorini Island
San Antonio “Atratoudistos” (1050) is a small chapel in the gorge of the Thira land and is located in the beautiful area of the slopes of the Imerovigli caldera of Santorini. On the volcanic walls of the temple there are frescoes from 1750, which have partly been desecrated in the face during the Turkish domination. According to the description of the inhabitants of the area, they told us that the icon of the Saint, although they found it in the current site of the temple, they brought it to the aforementioned church of San Marcos, but the next day they found it in its original point. . This happened several times until the existing temple was built.
Sailing Cruises in Greece by Greek Water Yachts