Is it really possible to lose weight simply by eating cucumbers? These common green vegetables are indeed a useful addition to your weight reduction diet.
Cucumber is one of the most common salad greens. You can usually get them all year round. However, they are best from May to July. The best to eat are organically grown because then you can eat the nutritious skin and the cucumber itself. If you can only find commercially grown ones, be careful to peel off the waxed skin, as it contains pesticides, chemicals, and wax.
How cucumbers will help you lose weight:
• Low in calories: they are low in calories and have a high water content. This means that they will fill you up without adding calories. In fact, they are a great way to help you lose weight.
• Diuretic: they will help you lose water due to water retention. This is a common obesity problem.
• Increase fluids: It is essential to drink as much water as possible when trying to lose weight. This will help you feel fuller and encourage you to eat less. Water will help you flush toxins from your body. Also, your body needs at least 8 glasses of water to function well. Cucumbers have a large proportion of water that will increase your fluid intake.
• Fiber: Cucumbers, like most vegetables, will provide you with fiber. When losing weight, you should try to eat a diet rich in fiber. Fiber will fill you up and encourage you to eat less. It will also help improve your digestion. When you digest your food better, you can lose weight.
Nutrition Facts: An 8¼-inch cucumber has 2 grams of protein, 11 grams of carbohydrates, 1½ grams of fiber, 5 grams of sugar, vitamins K, C, B6, and A. It also has foliate and potassium. A cucumber this size will only contain 45 calories, and due to the water and fiber it contains, it will help fill you up.
Choice of cucumbers – There are several different types of cucumbers and they will taste subtly different. The best way to get the varieties you like is to grow them in containers or in your garden. They will have a distinctive taste quite different from the bland items in the store.
• Lemon cucumbers: they are round, yellowish-green cucumbers with a pleasant mild flavor.
• Japanese cucumbers: They are a long, thin variety that have a mild flavor and are good to eat in salads or just as a salad. They are usually found wrapped in cellophane in stores.
• American cucumbers: there are many varieties of these. They range from small to larger pickles that are great for salads. Hybrids have made cucumber a mild-flavored vegetable that has lost much of the bitterness of the old varieties.
Tips for eating:
• Always choose fresh cucumbers that are not wrinkled or sunken. The older they get, the more bitter you will find them.
• Cut off the end of the cucumbers and rub them with a little salt by rubbing the ends. Doing this will take away some of the bitterness.
• You can cut cucumbers into slices and put them with a little vinegar, salt and pepper.
• You can also pickle them. There are a variety of recipes that you can use.