In fact, it would be wise to learn how to propose to a Filipina before doing so. Although Filipino women are generally known to be conservative, they can also be quite mysterious. It is very difficult to know what goes through the mind of a Filipina, even if you claim to have known one for years. So if you want her to say “yes” to your proposal, make sure you play your cards right.
1. Make sure you have what you need. There are only a couple of things you should bring when you set out: you and the ring.
2. Take a good look at it. Time is very important. Make sure your girlfriend is relaxed and in a good mood. If she is working, don’t do it during the weekdays as these are stressful times for her. You may want to make your proposal at night, where the air is cooler and the environment calmer.
3. Don’t move out of nowhere; otherwise, she would think it is just an impulsive decision, and you are not too serious about it.
4. Take her out to dinner. A romantic dinner is like an aperitif – it sets the mood. Make reservations at your favorite restaurant and order the best food and wine they can offer (if you can afford it, of course).
5. Take it to a quiet and special place, away from the prying eyes of the public. You don’t want too many distractions if you want to capture her heart.
6. How you ask the question is up to you, but say the words as you mean it. Modern Filipino women don’t like cheesy lines or anything that looks like it was taken from an old movie. You also don’t have to get on your knees or be very elaborate. You can be creative without being over the top.
Will your Filipino girlfriend say yes? You may, but you will probably need more time to think about it. Don’t let this get you down. It doesn’t mean that she doesn’t want to marry you at all. She probably wants to be very sure of her feelings and she wants you to be sure of yours too. Keep in mind that if you do get married, you will also marry your entire family. Filipinos are very close to their families. You cannot accept one into your heart without also accepting loved ones.
Filipinos take marriage very seriously. Most Filipino couples live together for the rest of their lives and their girlfriend wants their marriage to last a lifetime too. Don’t think about all the trouble you’ve been through to propose to her. You can still win her heart by being patient and showing her that you deserve her love.
So while you take these tips on how to propose to a Filipina seriously, there are still no guarantees that you will get what you want, but remember, it does not mean the benefit of your relationship.