What if you had a Reiki session, as a client or as a healer, and felt absolutely nothing? This is what a healer asked recently, when neither the healer nor the woman he was healing felt anything at all. I hope this answer reassures you.
Reiki goes where it is most needed for the greatest good. With this in mind, let me explain a few possible scenarios:
- The lady had root causes that needed to be urgently addressed. However, she was not ready to do it. Reiki wanted to go there, but it was not the right time.
- The Reiki went there and helped pave the way. But, because the lady was not ready yet (even if she firmly believes she was), the Reiki was so gentle and in such a small amount that it was imperceptible.
- You were distracted and couldn’t feel the Reiki, but that doesn’t mean nothing is wrong. I once gave a client a cure while my mind insisted on writing a mental shopping list, over and over, no matter what I did, throughout the session. At the end of that session, I was amazed to hear the client talk about how she loved the warmth of my hands, all the visions, and the wonderful messages she received. So being distracted doesn’t mean something hasn’t happened. However, your concern is that the client does not feel anything, so let me explain with some examples. I gave Reiki to a client who felt nothing and left disappointed, even though I explained the possibilities of the client experience (below). Then, she came back for more, reporting feeling a general calm beginning two days after the session. I myself had the most incredible Reiki session when I felt absolutely nothing. Afterwards, my then constant neck pain required no pain medication for an entire day, which was nothing short of a miracle. There is no reason why both the client and the healer should feel nothing. It is perfectly normal.
- Reiki goes where it is most needed. If you were in an uncomfortable physical position (like straining your back), the Reiki would have gone there, and instead of feeling it flow, you simply wouldn’t have felt the discomfort or level of discomfort that that forced position caused. If you had distracting thoughts in your mind, Reiki would have been helping you to be clear regarding these thoughts. With practice, you will learn how to give in to these distractions and thus flow better with Reiki. When you give a cure, you receive a cure.
- Our need to “feel something” is something man-made. It is man’s need to control. It is deadly pleasure that we seek. Reiki is a deeply spiritual practice. You are learning to give up this human need and transcend it by not even thinking about whether you or the client “feel anything.” In other words, the desire to feel something during a Reiki treatment goes against the spiritual nature of Reiki. Part of your Reiki training is learning to be humble and give up the expectation of feeling anything during a treatment. This is very difficult to learn, and it has my sympathy, as I struggled with it for years in my own learning. Remember, you are on a Reiki learning journey.
- Reiki heals at a very deep level that is often beyond our understanding or imagination. We are used to taking a pill and feeling the effects in 15 minutes, like a headache pill. Reiki definitely doesn’t work like that. People are attracted to Reiki often because they have been stripped of their rights with the approach of allopathic medicine. However, we have been so conditioned by this approach that we expect Reiki to work in the same way. But we seek Reiki because we want something different!
Reiki is an intelligent energy and it goes where it is most needed for the Highest Good. Reiki can be felt as hot or cold, as a ripple sensation, a vibration, an electrical sensation, images or messages, or not felt at all. The client may have a healing reaction during or after treatment, such as giggling, tears, laughter, sobbing, yawning, hiccups, belching, etc. Otherwise, the client may feel relaxed, go to sleep, or feel absolutely nothing. All of the above is perfectly normal. The experience may vary from session to session. We do not direct Reiki or dictate what should happen during the session. We simply trust that it is helping us move forward in ways that we often don’t understand, and that is the beauty of Reiki. It works on a deep spiritual level.
Enjoy your Reiki journey.